.NET     Console.WriteLine( "All Things .NET" );
.NET Nerd Blog Home
3.29.2007

 
WPF, how to hit the ground running
I'll be increasing a few PageRanks by doing this, but here's how I started.

First, go here:
Building a WPF Workstation

It's actually a little dated, but still works if you want to go the VS C# express route. The November CTP of WPF seems to be the very last that isn't integrated into "Orcas". And going "Orcas" means getting Virtual Server and billions of bits. I don't know I want that.

Then, go here:
Five Day Course For Hitting the WPF Curve/Cliff

I'm stuck on Day 2 only because I decided to buy/read and study Charles Petzold's book. I have learned most of my Windows programming basics from Mr. Petzold, including programming for Win16, Win32, Winforms, and now WPF.

I will warn you... EVERYONE else in the world will teach you WPF by throwing you at XAML. Petzold has decided to go the other way. Like me, I think he hates things that work by magic. So he shows you in part 1 of the book that nothing is magic... underneath it's all code.

That's what I liked about WinForms. The magic of resource files was replaced by 100% code. You made a label in the designer? There it is in the code. While .NET 2.0 changed this slightly in ASPX, it still made sense. I could go find code that matched my designing.

Anyways, after you read through part 1 of the book, you understand WPF is a nice framework with a nice shortcut declarative programming method using XAML.

Trust me, get the book. Then you won't be confused by Routed Events, Dependency Properties, and the other ideas that are a departure from traditional windows programming.

Now that turns Day 2 into month 2... so I'll let you know when I get some real apps up for demonstration.


Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger